Heartland Conference Anti-Racism Feb 2 Gathering
This event has ended. You will find follow-up resources from the event below.
As part of our February gathering, Barrick Stees presented an outline of the anti-resource he has created and is facilitating with groups across the country. He offered this outline for us to share with those who are interested: Centering God, Decentering Whiteness: Curriculum Outline.
In his presentation, Barrick Stees mentioned the following resource(s). They are included here for your engagement.
- Brad East, “In America, Jesus is Black because he was Jewish,” The Christian Century (January 25, 2022): https://www.christiancentury.org/article/critical-essay/america-jesus-black-because-he-was-jewish
- SURJ NEO – The Northeast Ohio of Showing Up For Racial Justice, “a national network organizing white people for racial justice”: https://surjneo.org/
- Joseph Barndt, Becoming the Anti-Racist Church: Journeying Toward Wholeness (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2011).
- Join the Movement UCC: jointhemovementucc.org
- Honesty for Education: http://www.honestyforohioeducation.info/
- Council on Health and Human Services, Anti-Racism Center: https://www.chhsm.org/advocacy/anti-racism/
- CHHSM, “Reason to Have Hope: A Public Health Response to Racism” – an online course: https://chhsm.thinkific.com/courses/a-public-health-response-to-racism
Wednesday, February 2 at 7 PM, we will have the privilege of hearing from one of our own, Barry Stees. Barry will share with us about the fantastic resource he has created, Centering God, Decentering Whiteness: Building Faith-Based Anti-Racism
***IMPORTANT: While everyone is welcome to attend, it is important to note that the resource Barry Stees will be presenting is intentional about targeting congregations predominantly of European descent (a.k.a. majority white congregations).***
Barry is a member of the Federated Church in Chagrin Falls, OH, and a leader of the Federated’s Social Justice Advocacy Ministry. He is a certified trained facilitator in the UCC’s Sacred Conversations to End Racism, and he facilitates engaging and challenging discussions on Restorative Racial Justice with many groups.
Please see the attached flyer, and please share it broadly.